MetroBC HVACR Ltd wants to ensure that all of our customers remain safe when operating Vancouver gas fireplaces, and to help we have developed a list of home safety tips.
First and foremost, it’s important to remember that fireplace surfaces such as the glass window are extremely hot during operation (over 500°F at full capacity!). When you turn your gas fireplace off, that glass window and surrounding areas will remain hot for a period of time so please ensure caution when small children, pets or guests are in the room. We suggests close adult supervision during operation times and the use of a physical barriers.
A gas fireplace barrier separates any small children or pets from the fireplace
Metro’s Gas fireplace Safety Tips
• Valor Barrier Screens – All gas fireplaces have been factory equipped with barrier screens since 2013, but if you don’t have one we suggest buying one.
• Maintain a Safe Distance From Hot Surfaces – We recommend placing furniture, draperies and other objects at least 36″ from the front of the fireplace.
• Remote Control Handset Placement – Ensure the remote is out of reach of children. A wall mount kit is included with your purchase.
• Glass Remains Hot – As talked about above, the glass will remain hot even after the fireplace has been turned off for a period of time.
• Schedule Routine Maintenance – Scheduling routine maintenance checks with Metro Vancouver Heating Services to ensure safe, effective use of your gas fireplace. This will also help increase the expected service life of your fireplace.
When researching a gas fireplace for your home, you may see terms or phrases that aren’t clear or properly explained. This can be especially true when determining the type of installation needed for your specific space. a zero-clearance gas fireplace? a gas insert or freestanding gas stove?
Contact MetroBC HVACR Ltd to find out about gas fire
About the author